Friday, April 1, 2011

Web Page Evaluation

The site I'm evaluating is http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/.

The domain name of this website is zapatopi.net. I feel that this domain name lessons the credibility of this website because .net is one of the many different names that are available for anyone to buy and create websites one.

There is no clear author stated.  There is a message at the bottom that says:  "This site is not associated with any school or educational organization, other than the Kelvinic University branch of the Wild Haggis Conservation Society."  So I suppose that the possible author could be someone from the branch of the Wild Haggis Conservation Society from Kelvinic University.  There is also a link that says:  "Address concerns to Lyle Zapato."  So she could be another potential author.

When I look up Kelvinic University, I am taken to a site with the same domain name as the website I am trying to validate.  The page for this "uuniversity" is just an extinction of the page I'm already on, which tells me that the "corporation" is not a credible sourcee for information.  The page does tell of the school and its goals and purposes.  It does have a mailing address.  There are, however, no actual names given at any time.  No links to pages for facility or anything.  I don't believe there are any biases, either.  Overall, no, I would say the organization should not be giving information on this topic because he organization itself does not exist.

The purpose of this web page is clearly stated.  The purpose is to help save the endangered Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus from extinction.  In a way this page wants to both inform and persuade the reader.  There is a lot of information given on the Tree Octopus, but at the same time they want you to get involved in helping to save this endangered species.  There aren't any advertisements on this page.  There is a sidebar with news, a support thing, and a gift shop, but that's all.  So I would say that its not distracting at all and helps to contribute to the message the page is trying to get out.

I would say the intended target of the page is everyone.  This organization wants to get as many people as possible to take an interest in their cause.  There are several scientific terms within the text that I don't understand, and it uses a bigger vocabulary than maybe younger children wouldn't understand, so I suppose this "matches my needs."\

The information on this page was created on March 8, 1998 and was last updated on March 28, 2011.  There is a tab given that has sightings of the tree octopus and they have recent dates on them.  This site seems to have been probably maintained and not neglected at all.

I don't believe this content is peer-reviewed, authenticated by experts, or subject to some sort of editorial scrutiny.  There is no indication of this anywhere.  There are no awards or links to favorable site reviews from reliable sources.  Based on what I've seen, I would say that this source is not reliable at all.

I would not recommend this site to anyone, because the corporation that is in charge of this website does not even exist.  So I have to doubt the claims that this Tree Octopus is actually a real thing.

1 comment:

  1. You demonstrate a strong ability to apply information strategies presented in class!

    ReplyDelete