Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Double Entry Journal #3



1.  In elementary school, reading instruction is more focused on the process of learning to read.  Because of this, students don't really learn the skills to read for information, ideas, and concepts, which are needed for success in secondary school.

2.  Reading test scores are best at creating a sense of crisis among the population in relation to literacy.  If they tests reach the conclusion that many of the children within the population are illiterate, then the parents in that population become concerned.

3.  None of these literacy myths really surprised me.  These myths were all things that were discussed in my Reading in the Content Areas class.  Back then, though, the thing that most surprised me was that literacy was not only related to reading.  I never realized that literacy could be associated with math or some other area.

4.  When it comes to reading in the content areas, you have to teach the students how to read the content.  As a teacher, you cannot expect them to know how simply because they can read.  For example, in Social Studies, you teach the students to search for facts, ideas, and concepts.  A way that you can guide this teaching is by using study guides that go along with the text.

5.  I think that my knowledge of technology literacy was one that was not often acknowledged within school.  I don't think that teachers from where I came from understand knowledge of technology is it's own literacy and that it can be used to assist with teaching.

6.

7.

8.  When valuable student literacies are not acknowledged as valuable in school, students become resistant to school learning.  They begin to refuse to read or write in school, which impacts their learning as well as their self-esteem.

9.

10.  Throughout several of my high school Social Studies classes I had teachers who attempted to make me and the rest of my class think critically.  They often encouraged us to come to our own conclusions on something that we were reading or learning.

11.  I can't really remember a time when multicultural literacy was ever addressed.  I come from an area where there is not a whole lot of cultural and ethnic differences.  It's not a problem in those classrooms.  Almost all of the students are from the area, and generations of their family have lived there as well.

12.


Resources:

Bolima, D. (n.d.). Contexts for understanding: educational learning theories. Retrieved from http://staff.washington.edu/saki/strategies/101/new_page_5.htm

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when you get your Own the Word for Cultural capital posted!

    As teachers we want to adopt a cultural difference perspective and build students cultural capital by drawing on all the funds of knowledge they bring to the classroom from their homes and communities!

    ReplyDelete